The Diogenes Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Diogenes Club

We aim to turn everyone into tang by the end of the decade.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music of the Spheres

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ishabaal

ishabaal

Music of the Spheres Empty
PostSubject: Music of the Spheres   Music of the Spheres Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 11:43 pm

So out of this forums members, it seems at least 3 of us are classically trained music makers. So I was wondering what are your favorite bands/singers/performers etc. Why do you like them so much and if possible a rough estimate of just how long these guys/gals/its have been your favorite?

Mine current favorite band is The Flower Kings, unlike most of my music these guys perform really uplifting pieces of progressive rock. That just make you glad to be alive when you listen to them, They have been my favorite since I got one of their albums Adam and Eve about, say two years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/bands/913/
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

PostSubject: Re: Music of the Spheres   Music of the Spheres Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 11:50 pm

I have many musical 'favorites' but several remain paramount in their own ways... These include:

Bob Dylan: I have devoured Dylan's work for the past 2 years or so, perhaps because of the raw and honest nature of much of his folk music... The lyrics are flowing and often rather clever... His voice can be abrasive but once familiar it only adds to the rough/soulful nature of his music.

Streetlight Manifesto: Also, i value this band for lyrics (though not necessarily the most tactful, they put across powerful cases against suicide "Heres' To Life", "A Better Place, A Better Time", and cleverly attack organized religion "Blonde Lead the Blind"), However i find this band utterly fascinating due to the almost classical arrangement of the horn sections, playing creatively with multi-layers, Setting up heavy baritone sax lines, and covering them with amazing Trumpet/trombone solos.

Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution: Same as streetlight, I would prefer them over streetlight due to my attraction to acoustic music, and their larger ensemble of musicians makes them far more orchestral, but alas they have only released 5 songs in the past 8 years.
Back to top Go down
i is what i is

i is what i is

PostSubject: two of my favorites   Music of the Spheres Icon_minipostedWed Jul 02, 2008 11:02 pm

hmm, it's always hard narrowing these things down..

The Boxhead Ensemble: really fascinating group of creative improvising musicians(with a constantly changing lineup) combining many different styles of music. Improvised sax over strings while experimental electronics create weird textures in the background, 'american' influences, anything really is possible with these guys. originally founded to create a soundtrack (featuring improvisation! something i plan on exploring once i start working on films) they've done quite a few more albums, each just as amazing and experimental as the one before it, definitely worth a listen!

John Lurie and/or The Lounge Lizards: Lurie's the main composer for this group when they were active but he also created many amazing works on his own, writing some really great soundtracks for some independent movies(and some not so independent ones.. lol) The music is often called 'fake jazz', it has the instrumentation of 'traditional' jazz but alot of the music is all set, compositions are fairly tight, combing minimalism influenced by african music, rock, etc., with some progressive tendencies(especially in 'Queen of All Ears' my personal fav.) they cover tons of ground as far as emotions, songs are fun, sad, crazy, funny, or all the above, check 'em out!

i like both these groups equally, both amazing, and theres tons others but i have a tendency to ramble so just did the 2 for now lol if anyone would like any more recommendations let me know..

Hey Deriding P. i checked out the two ska type bands: both very cool, lot of energy and great arrangements! thanks for the reference/recommendation/thingy!

i is what i is
Back to top Go down
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

PostSubject: Re: Music of the Spheres   Music of the Spheres Icon_minipostedWed Jul 02, 2008 11:23 pm

I will certainly check out the groups you mentioned. Im not a big fan of free form jazz but the tight compositions and arrangements you mention do sound rather interesting.

Thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
ishabaal

ishabaal

PostSubject: Re: Music of the Spheres   Music of the Spheres Icon_minipostedThu Jul 03, 2008 1:28 am

On the topic of jazz, about 6 months ago I found a keyboardist called Hiromi Uehara who does amazing things with her music. She pairs fast paced keyboard parts with melodic but still fast tempo bass and drum lines. The group also pull off those really catchy tunes without being to plain and still keep up the level of music complexity I enjoy without sounding too mushed together. They have three albums out right now and I've digested every single one with pleasure. Certainly a band worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/bands/913/
Bombadillo

Bombadillo

Location : The Old Forest! I'm on a hiatus at the moment, however...

PostSubject: Re: Music of the Spheres   Music of the Spheres Icon_minipostedFri Jul 04, 2008 1:05 am

Alrighty! Here goes!

Thomas Hampson: A classical operatic Baritone with a BEAUTIFUL sound. His attention to detail and his impeccable technique make him not only one of the best trained singers but one of the most healthy singers. His opera roles are AMAZING and so learned that I just cannot get enough of his sound!

Streetlight Manifesto: I'm gonna agree with DeridingPolyphemus. I really like this band for both it's lyrics and it's amazingly catchy and inventive horn parts. Even though the singer's voice, while perfect for the realms of Punk and Ska, can grate on the ears after a while... Neutral

Samuel Ramey: Another classical singer only this time it's a Bass. He just seems to have a wonderful sense of humor about his music. Basses are known for that but he also consistently delivers amazing performances.

A recommendation for the two opera singers I mentioned before. They recorded a CD together entitled No Tenors Allowed which is a wonderful collection of Italian duets for Baritone and Bass. I recommend it a thousand times over to any one who wants to hear a beautiful, at times comic, and healthy voice (well voices Very Happy ).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music of the Spheres   Music of the Spheres Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Music of the Spheres
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Diogenes Club :: General Discussion :: The Pub-
Jump to: