The Diogenes Club

We aim to turn everyone into tang by the end of the decade.
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Abstract Terminology

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Posts : 85
Join date : 2008-06-30
Location : NC, US

PostSubject: Abstract Terminology   Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:23 am

Perhaps some of the greatest disturbances that i have felt in my ineffectual quests for the absolute come from the realization of the futility of the very concept of 'Meaning'. Though no one can truly says there is an ultimate 'base for reasoning' that transcends human existence, we continue to try to find sorts of "meanings" (a singular ethic) through religion and metaphysical illusions.

Even if there were a god, however, that would not solve our desire for the absolute. Meaning, in itself, is an unattainable concept. To reduce existence to one single principle can never be accomplished. Therefore, the word 'meaning' can not be used in alignment with the purposes i have described.

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bombadillo

Bombadillo

Posts : 15
Join date : 2008-06-30
Location : The Old Forest! I'm on a hiatus at the moment, however...

PostSubject: Re: Abstract Terminology   Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:39 am

I am (for now) in whole agreement with you on this!

I'll take a Cosmicist's approach to this one. The universe far too vast, complex, and ultimately over our heads that even if there was a meaning to our existence It would be infinitely too complex for us to comprehend.

I, for one, believe that it is really emancipating to have no knowledge of a meaning. I do like the power of the search for one, however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Posts : 85
Join date : 2008-06-30
Location : NC, US

PostSubject: Re: Abstract Terminology   Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:47 am

Bombadillo wrote:

I, for one, believe that it is really emancipating to have no knowledge of a meaning. I do like the power of the search for one, however.

It is interesting that you should mention this emancipating feeling, as once a man begins thinking, he uncovers this unreasonable attempt to try to understand, and it becomes much a torment.

Torment and emancipation seem highly contradictory, yet freedom is best found within its limits... We must struggle to comprehend, to describe the human experience, but at the same time, we must not worry ourselves with such a trifling 'meaning' as it can never be humanly relavant...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K.

K.

Posts : 31
Join date : 2008-07-04
Location : NC

PostSubject: Re: Abstract Terminology   Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:33 pm

The problem you propose is purely linguistic. The difficulty in deciphering an objective meaning of the universe lies within the fact that the word "meaning" has no definition in a materialistic context. Significance necessitates a subjective reaction; "meaning" is a two-way street. The meaning of a word requires a subjective response to the word. The meaning of an object requires a subjective response to the object. The idea that meaning, which can translated to "subjectively interpreted significance," exists exterior to consciousness is absurd and, pardon me for saying, meaningless.

Following this trend, the meaning of existence is also subjective. You can only find the meaning to your life by cognitive response to it. In other words: I think, therefore I am...I am, therefore I am x, I think.

In short: You create meaning rather than find it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Posts : 85
Join date : 2008-06-30
Location : NC, US

PostSubject: Re: Abstract Terminology   Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:36 pm

K. wrote:
The problem you propose is purely linguistic. The difficulty in deciphering an objective meaning of the universe lies within the fact that the word "meaning" has no definition in a materialistic context. Significance necessitates a subjective reaction; "meaning" is a two-way street. The meaning of a word requires a subjective response to the word. The meaning of an object requires a subjective response to the object. The idea that meaning, which can translated to "subjectively interpreted significance," exists exterior to consciousness is absurd and, pardon me for saying, meaningless.

Following this trend, the meaning of existence is also subjective. You can only find the meaning to your life by cognitive response to it. In other words: I think, therefore I am...I am, therefore I am x, I think.

In short: You create meaning rather than find it.

My point merely lies in the realm of thought which believes meaning can only be put on a fractal scale of existence. There can never be an absolute meaning. And when you create your own meaning, it can not possibly become universal. This is the point i was trying to put out. I have no qualms with your conjecture.

_________________
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its' way' - Albert Camus

"Donít die for anything less than the best of, everyone settles for the rest not the best of, I will die for no less than the best of life." - BOTAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K.

K.

Posts : 31
Join date : 2008-07-04
Location : NC

PostSubject: Re: Abstract Terminology   Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:29 pm

DeridingPolyphemus wrote:
K. wrote:
The problem you propose is purely linguistic. The difficulty in deciphering an objective meaning of the universe lies within the fact that the word "meaning" has no definition in a materialistic context. Significance necessitates a subjective reaction; "meaning" is a two-way street. The meaning of a word requires a subjective response to the word. The meaning of an object requires a subjective response to the object. The idea that meaning, which can translated to "subjectively interpreted significance," exists exterior to consciousness is absurd and, pardon me for saying, meaningless.

Following this trend, the meaning of existence is also subjective. You can only find the meaning to your life by cognitive response to it. In other words: I think, therefore I am...I am, therefore I am x, I think.

In short: You create meaning rather than find it.

My point merely lies in the realm of thought which believes meaning can only be put on a fractal scale of existence. There can never be an absolute meaning. And when you create your own meaning, it can not possibly become universal. This is the point i was trying to put out. I have no qualms with your conjecture.

I agree with you of course. Universality necessitates uniformity and we are far from uniform.

It could be universal, though, if we accept solipsism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Abstract Terminology   

Back to top Go down
 
Abstract Terminology
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» COURT INDEX AND DOCKET - DENNIS MANUGE v. HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
» Police terminology

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Diogenes Club :: General Discussion :: Philosophy-
Jump to: