The Diogenes Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Diogenes Club

We aim to turn everyone into tang by the end of the decade.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ice Breaker...

Go down 
+2
Bombadillo
DeridingPolyphemus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 3:26 am

Just a thread to break the ice... on this forum at least. Are any of you guys related with philosophical schools/thoughts/particular religions? Do you have any writers/artists/thinkers who have influenced you?

Personally, Ive been tremendously influenced by the writings of Albert Camus recently.... I had already maintained many similar views, But he has an eloquent way of portraying his points, especially in the Myth of Sisyphus.

I am personally agnostic... No real religious background though raised christian.
Back to top Go down
Bombadillo

Bombadillo

Location : The Old Forest! I'm on a hiatus at the moment, however...

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 3:41 am

Well personally I'm still a little green at this whole philosophy thing so I'm still reading.

I have however begun to read Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzche lately. I have found myself agreeing with lots of what he says. I dunno if that makes me a Nihilist though.

I have not, however, finished it or read extensively in other fields of thought. I know synopses of some of Camus' works and am somewhat familiar with the works of Kierkegaard.

So I guess that means I have no "school".
Back to top Go down
WanderingOisin

WanderingOisin

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 4:00 am

My primary literary influence was/is Dostoyevsky. The Brothers Karamazov is, for me, the most powerful of his works, but I read just about anything of his I can get my hands on.

I read almost anything I can get my hands on, so smatterings of every school of thought and type of philosophy, from Plato and Aristotle, to Descartes, Voltaire, Thomas Hobbes, and even Jean-Paul Sartre.

I don't think I could say I belong to any school, in particular.
Back to top Go down
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedMon Jun 30, 2008 1:50 pm

I do need to read The Brothers Karamazov, Apparently Camus wasnt very happy with the ending... Im not clear on the events, so i cant hold my word to anything. Ill check it out!
Back to top Go down
ishabaal

ishabaal

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Although I know of many philosophical works I have yet to do much reading into them. I'm limited to books such as Crime and Punishment by our good friend Dostoyevsky or Candide by Voltaire. I am however familiar with most major schools of philosophy and I find myself to be a mix of Atheistic existentialism and Nihilism.

Last edited by Ishabaal on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/bands/913/
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedTue Jul 01, 2008 11:00 pm

Ishabaal wrote:
Although I know of many philosophical works I have yet to do much reading into them. I'm limited to books such as Crime and Punishment by our good friend Dostoyevsky or Voltaire. I am however familiar with most major schools of philosophy and I find myself to be a mix of Atheistic existentialism and Nihilism.

Wasnt voltaire the guy who said Bibles would be out of print in 10 years or something?

Well, whatever the time, I think the church bought his property afterwords... To make bibles. (so Bombadillo tells me)

This is what i consider IRONY.
Back to top Go down
i is what i is

i is what i is

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedWed Jul 02, 2008 11:51 pm

hmm don't know too much about philosophy.. religion wise i've always kind of laughed at most of them, just fairy tales made up to make us all feel better about dying and to keep us in check, on best behavior, etc., so most of my life i've been atheist, now i'd say agnostic with some slight leanings towards Buddhism and/or belief in fate/destiny/things of that nature. theres an old police saying that says something about 'theres no such thing as coincidences' and there seems to be a lot of said coincidences in this life of ours.. but idk.. if you look hard enough at the clouds or your bowl of oatmeal you're likely to see jesus if you're looking for him.. heh
sorry if anything said offended, im open-minded though: tell me why i'm wrong if you feel so inclined. ^^
Back to top Go down
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedWed Jul 02, 2008 11:58 pm

i is what i is wrote:
if you look hard enough at the clouds or your bowl of oatmeal you're likely to see jesus if you're looking for him.. heh
sorry if anything said offended, im open-minded though: tell me why i'm wrong if you feel so inclined. ^^

Heh, I doubt youve offended anyone here, But yes, I do agree with what you are saying, people tend to be satisfied with finding even the most ridiculous answers if it means their superficial comforts.
Back to top Go down
Bombadillo

Bombadillo

Location : The Old Forest! I'm on a hiatus at the moment, however...

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedFri Jul 04, 2008 1:24 am

Yeah there's a military saying as well. "There's never an atheist in a foxhole".

This just strengthens my belief that most, if not all, religions were created out of a hardship and really serve no purpose except to give humans an early list of rules which should be followed. In a time when we have society to make the rules it is no longer necessary.
Back to top Go down
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedFri Jul 04, 2008 1:33 am

Bombadillo wrote:
Yeah there's a military saying as well. "There's never an atheist in a foxhole".

This just strengthens my belief that most, if not all, religions were created out of a hardship and really serve no purpose except to give humans an early list of rules which should be followed. In a time when we have society to make the rules it is no longer necessary.

God and religion seem to me an easy way out of facing reality. those who have reached 'god' in similar paths as men such as Chestov and Keirkegaard, have perhaps the best reasoning behind their choice, but still have leaped illogically to a philosophical death.

If god were to exist, his greatness would be in his incoherence. And that is the terrifying notion that an average Monotheist is not willing to accept
Back to top Go down
i is what i is

i is what i is

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedSat Jul 05, 2008 2:37 am

Quote :

heh yeah good point bombadillo, it's funny as confident as ive been for most of my life that any sort of deities are just made up i do still find myself saying 'thank god!' (more of a reflex, i dont mean it lol) or when in a really shitty situation i will throw up a quick prayer just in the off chance there is some supreme entity watching over lol *shrug*
on a similar note, when i was like 10 or 12 years old, my mom decided to get me baptized(we never went to church or anything) to 'Cover her bases' kind of thing, she believed in a lot of christianity but never followed things 'to the book' or what have you, just kind of took what she thought was right from it, and she always figured if she was wrong about god, what did she lose in believing in him all that time? which kind of makes sense, i mean as long as you don't completely devote your life to a religion its not really like you'll die and go 'damn i was wrong! i could've saved 15 secs of my life every meal i prayed at!" or what have you.

Quote :
Heh, I doubt youve offended anyone here, But yes, I do agree with what you are saying, people tend to be satisfied with finding even the most ridiculous answers if it means their superficial comforts.

heh yeah so far, but don't forget about the 'influx of stupidity' i'd mentioned to you earlier Wink gotta watch out for them, get the pitchforks ready! lmao or we could just do the whole 'intellectual war' thing your way *rolls eyes* lol just kidding of course, i dont think pitchforks would be very practical, being over the net and all.. Razz
Back to top Go down
K.

K.

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedSat Jul 05, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm an absurdist in my approach to life, heavily influenced by Camus. Religiously I see things similarly to Joseph Campbell which precludes statements of atheism/theism, though I can say that I lack belief in the triple-omni model of god. Mostly, though, I'm humble; I've got a lot of reading to do.
Back to top Go down
DeridingPolyphemus
Admin
DeridingPolyphemus

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_minipostedSat Jul 05, 2008 12:52 pm

K. wrote:
I'm an absurdist in my approach to life, heavily influenced by Camus. Religiously I see things similarly to Joseph Campbell which precludes statements of atheism/theism, though I can say that I lack belief in the triple-omni model of god. Mostly, though, I'm humble; I've got a lot of reading to do.

I am an absurdist in most regards of the word, perhaps an absurd creator or philosopher. I would follow the phenomenologists for a more religious approach, but only for their description of the human experience, however i havent read Husserl or any associated thinkers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ice Breaker... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Breaker...   Ice Breaker... Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Ice Breaker...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Diogenes Club :: General Discussion :: Philosophy-
Jump to: